Well folks this is it. Tomorrow morning, if the weather doesn't deteriorate I will be taking Windsong out of Inglis to Gulfport, FL with my friend Jeff to help. It will be my first overnight sail, but I have been mentally preparing for it for months. I feel confident in my preparations and am ready to get it done. I changed my plans on taking it to Tarpon Springs, so now I am going further south to Gulfport near St. Petersburg. I thought about how I would have to do an overnight sail to Tarpon Springs, but would have to stop at some point to wait for daylight to enter the channel. Without a depth sounder I need to be sure where I am so daylight is required to enter. I figured why not continue sailing through the night and end up in St. Pete the next day? If things go well, I have Jenny for a whole week in two weeks to continue the ride south, through the Okeechobee waterway and up the East Coast. I have plotted a course of offshore buoys in the area and do not feel it will be difficult to follow.
The weather looks rainy and chilly, but the winds are favorable for the ride and not too high. If it looks real bad tomorrow morning we will call it off, but it has been looking better throughout the day. All of my foul weather gear is packed and safety procedures reviewed.
Forecast as of 8:00 pm Friday
Wish me luck! The float plans have been left with loved ones and I'll call the coast guard in the morning to give it to them as well.