Section 2 Begins - Cockpit area, Engine Room, Quarter-Berth

Now that the first section is out of the way, I move onto the next.  This one is  much more complicated and labor intensive, possibly the most of any of the sections.  This is primarily due to the section containing the cockpit and engine room.  The cockpit needed quite a bit of repairs due to a soggy sole and a few holes that won't be used anymore.  I started the cockpit sole repairs a while back, you can see the start of it here:  http://www.thequestforwindandwaves.com/?p=137 In the past week or so I have returned to the cockpit sole project by epoxying the new core into place.  All that remains for that repair is to apply layers of glass cloth to the underside.  I will probably make a separate post documenting that repair since it is easily one of the most involved repairs I have on the boat.

Aside from the cockpit sole, there is a lot of other work to be done in this section.  Most of it resembles the same work done in the first section, just with a bit more surface area to deal with.  I might update these lists as time goes on and I realize I left something out, but here is the to-do list for Section 2 as it stands:

Deck: -Remove all deck hardware – COMPLETE -Pot thru-deck holes with epoxy – COMPLETE -Thoroughly clean with soap, then solvent – In progress -Sand with 150 grit -Fill/repair all unused holes - autopilot, old telephone plug, etc. -Grind/bevel all dings and imperfections (including deck joint) -Fair decks with thickened epoxy -Sand fairing compound down to a smooth surface -Re-Apply fairing compound and sand down as needed

Just like the previous section, once I've completed all of that work on the deck the section will be ready for prime and paint come Fall.

Hull sides & Transom: -Remove all hardware, thru-hulls & equipment – Only drains remain -Glass in old drain holes -Thoroughly clean with soap, solvent, then On/Off where needed -Wet sand gelcoat with 600 grit -Sand cove stripe with 220 grit -Repair any dings in gelcoat

Not many dings and imperfections here compared to the first section.  The primary issue on the sides are the deck drains.  Each side of the boat has two deck drains in this area and the original design is ridiculously inefficient.  The drain from the deck is at the same height as it's drain over the side, therefore nothing drains from it unless the boat is at an angle.  Water and gunk end up just sitting in the short hose that runs from the deck to the side drains and clogs up.  I will remedy this by lowering the hull-side drains so that water will flow down and out of them regardless of heel angle (or lack there-of).  The old holes will need to be glassed in and new ones cut just below the cove stripe.  Unfortunately, removing these is apparently a big pain, as they were sealed with hard resin which needs to be chipped away before they will budge.

Here are the side drains I am referring to:

Engine Room: -Remove all hardware, wiring, plumbing, thru-hulls etc. – Only waterline thru-hulls remain -Wash all surfaces - Partially complete -Pressure wash bilge -Repair cockpit sole from underside - In progress -Glass in unused thru-hulls -Rough sand all surfaces – Partially complete -Clean sanded surfaces with solvent -Paint most areas with BilgeKote -Add sound/engine room insulation (this may wait for later)

Quarter-Berth -Thoroughly clean all surfaces with soap & water (pressure wash lockers), then solvent -Paint lockers with Bilgekote -Prime & Paint primary surfaces

Lots of work!  But since I sort of learned the processes in the first section, things might be easier here.  Once this section is done, I will start working my way from the front of the boat to the back.  The reason for this is that I will be pressure washing all bilge and locker areas, and the waste will flow backwards to the deepest part of the bilge.  I wanted to get the engine room out of the way due to the complexity of the repairs needed.