More Sanding, and then Sanding Again...

Now that I've caught everyone up via video for the most part, I feel like I can write a bit without having to type a novel.  I still need to make the video showing all of the various projects going on in my garage, which contains about 30-40% of all of the work I am doing with this project.  However, my current focus remains at the boat itself. This past week I didn't get much boat work done during the week, too much work-work to do which kept me from the yard.  I still always manage to get something done each day, however, regardless of how little and insignificant it may seem.  The only way this project will ever get done is if I chip at it little by little, no matter what.  On days where I can't get any physical labor accomplished I will at minimum do some research for projects, order some parts or supplies online, or maybe even work on the blog.

There is ALWAYS something to buy, and most things are very specific and can't be found just anywhere.  I am constantly needing to buy stuff like sandpaper, sealants, epoxy supplies, fasteners, etc.  Fasteners are always a big bitch.  No matter how many I think I have, the next project requires something slightly different.  Have the right screw size?  Guess need it in bronze for this one!  Have a ton of 1/4-20 x 1" bolts?  Guess need 1.25"!  My inventory of fasteners is getting pretty diverse in size, use and material.  Unfortunately, most fasteners and even many of the supplies can't be found at Home Depot or some other local sture...gotta go some place online.  Getting that kind of shopping done is a constant thing, and I consider it "boat work."  I really wish I had kept better records of my spending and the man-hours spent on this, just to give people some real data on how ridiculous this whole thing is.  I might be able to do the spending analysis by looking at bank statements and credit card transactions, we shall see.

As you have seen in the videos, I have spent the past few weeks sanding down the fairing compound on the bottom.  I finally finished sanding off the big first pass of fairing compound.  A job that took a long, long time holding a sander above my head and at all sorts of angles for hours on end.  It was a dreadful job, worse than taking the bottom off.  At least it was a good shoulder workout.  After I finished the first sanding I had to go back and patch up a ton of spots that didn't get enough fairing compound, or just needed some extra goop to get flush.

I applied those patches last week, and as of this past weekend I finally got those sanded down.  Of course, there were quite a few more spots that needed more goop, so yesterday I applied those and will sand it down sometime this week.  Hopefully only one or two more applications in select spots will be needed before the bottom is faired, and I can get the boat lifted to access the keel and under the stands.

Aside from the bottom I am still working on applying the Cetol to the caprail.  I haven't been able to do any more to it since I made the last video.  I want to apply one more coat of Cetol and then I will do 2 coats of Cetol Gloss.  I figured while I am doing all of that, it would be a good time to put on some maintenance coats on the hatches that I did last year, and finally get some oil/sealer on the handrails.  All of that is a work in progress, and hopefully I can finish it by the end of the weekend.

But things happen that always derail plans.  I had planned to have all of that done two weekends ago, but between rain and other plans...things had to be postponed.  Thus the story of the project, always changing plans and pushing things out.  I didn't go DIY to get this job done fast or cheap, I did it to learn HOW to do it, and to do it right.

Oh and last Saturday we had a lot of rain, keeping me from doing any of the current work at the boat.  I decided to attempt to get the engine running again since I haven't started it since last August when I ran it for the first time.  I had some notes for things that needed fixing from the first start: replace a gasket on the heat exchanger that was leaking, replace the hour-meter on the instrument panel, replace a few wire connections that I messed up.  I got all of that accomplished in a few hours, and when it was all ready to go I gave the engine a crank.  Amazingly, it started up without a cough!  I let it run for about a half hour, putting the transmission through its paces shifting from forward, neutral and reverse; and through a range of RPM's by adjusting the throttle.  I plan on cranking it up more often now just to keep up with it and not let it rot away under its tarp.